In family law proceedings, this form is used by the person who filed the Initiating Application (Family Law) only if, in the Response to Initiating Application (Family Law) the respondent has asked for orders about a
new subject matter; and you wish to oppose those orders or have the Court make other orders on that subject matter. Or by a person other than the applicant against whom orders are sought by the respondent, if you wish to oppose those orders or seek different orders.

In general federal law proceedings, this form is used by the person who filed an application only if, in the response to an application or cross-claim, the respondent seeks orders other than the orders
set out in the application; and you wish to oppose those orders or have the Court make other orders in relation to those orders sought in the response or cross-claim.

Filing with the Court

Family law proceedings

Once completed, this form should be eFiled with the Court using the Commonwealth Courts Portal (see How do I eFile?). If for some reason you cannot eFile, you can file at a Court registry.

TIP: If you are not registered on the Commonwealth Courts Portal or are registered but do not have access to your file electronically, please complete the enquiry form for divorce or other family law.

In the form, you need to select:

  • I am making an enquiry about myself
  • Commonwealth Courts Portal support and registration
  • I am registered for the Commonwealth Courts Portal but can't see my file

Then provide your full name, email address, date of birth and the full name of the other party so we can verify your identity.

You should also provide your telephone number in case we need to contact you, and your Commonwealth Courts Portal username if you know it.

At Step 3 please provide your file number, if known, and ask for your client number.

General federal law proceedings

Once complete, you need to file this form with the Court. It must be filed electronically using eLodgment, unless it is not reasonably practicable to do so.


After the form is filed it must be served by ordinary service as soon as possible on the other parties including the Independent Children’s Lawyer, if one is appointed.

For more information on service in family law proceedings, see How do I serve family law documents?.

For general federal law proceedings, see the details about service in each area of law:

Legal advice

To understand your legal rights and responsibilities you should obtain legal advice. A lawyer can explain how the law applies to your case and assist you to complete forms and lodge documents. The Court is unable to provide legal advice because to do so would seriously compromise its ability to impartially determine your case. There are several free services available. For more information see: