Migration: Interpreter services

Attending hearings

If you need an interpreter to understand what is being said at a court hearing, you can arrange for any interpreter that you or your witnesses may require. In some circumstances, the Court will arrange an interpreter for you.

Communicating with registry staff

If you need an interpreter to communicate with registry staff, you can call 131 450 (the Translating & Interpreting Service) and speak to an interpreter.

Translating documents - Accredited translations

All documents must be prepared in English. If you want to rely on a document that is in a language other than English, it must be translated into English by a qualified and certified translator.

The National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI) NAATI is the national standards and certifying authority for translators and interpreters in Australia. When using a private translator (or interpreter), look for NAATI certification.

The following services might be helpful to you.

Language services


Find an interpreter or translator

Online database of the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters Ltd (NAATI), listing all certified translators and interpreters in Australia.

Phone: 1300 557 470

Translating and Interpreting Service

Interpreting service provided by the Department of Home Affairs.

Free Translating Service

The Free Translating Service is provided by the Australian Government for people settling permanently in Australia to support participation in employment, education and community engagement. Permanent residents and some temporary or provisional visa holders can have up to ten eligible documents translated, into English, within the first two years of their eligible visa grant date. Eligible documents include identity and relationship documents, facilitation documents such as driver’s licences, education documents and employment-related documents.

For more information, go to the Free Translating Service  website. The website is available in English, Arabic, Farsi and Simplified Chinese.

New South Wales

Legal Aid NSW

Northern Territory

Legal aid information in other languages

South Australia

Interpreting and Translating Centre


Speak to us in your language

Get help in your own language