Indigenous Family Liaison Officers

This fact sheet provides information about the role of Indigenous Family Liaison Officers (IFLOs) in the Federal Circuit and Family Court of Australia (the Courts).

The Courts

The Federal Circuit and Family Court of Australia (Division 1 and Division 2) help families work out problems they may have when families have separated. They are not criminal courts, they are civil courts that are here to help families with a focus on keeping children safe.

When you and your ex-partner or other family members can’t agree on things like who the children will live with, how much time the children will spend with each parent, grandparent, carers or other family members, you can ask the Courts to help you decide. The Courts can also help you work out financial or property matters connected to your separation.

The Courts have services available to assist Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.

Indigenous Family Liaison Officers

Indigenous Family Liaison Officers (IFLOs) work for the Courts and are located in many locations across Australia.

IFLOs are there to help and support families to understand and engage with the Court process. They can also help people who are involved in a family law issue by connecting them to legal and other support services.

IFLOs are impartial which means IFLOs can help all sides of the family coming to Court – IFLOs do not take sides.

Some ways that an IFLO may assist

IFLOs are essential links between the community and the Courts and are available to assist at any time during the process.

IFLOs can:

  • attend court hearings or other court events to provide support and explain the process
  • assist with accessing court information and filing documents
  • connect you to legal and other community based services
  • assist with connecting you with Court Ordered programs
  • talk to community about family law and the Court process
  • explain practical reasons that may affect you doing what the Court has asked, and
  • visit services, legal profession and community to talk about the Courts and the IFLO role.

It is important to know that there are some things an IFLO cannot do for legal reasons. Most importantly, IFLOs cannot give legal advice, represent or argue for you and IFLOs do not have any power to make or change decisions of the Court.

Specialist Indigenous List

The Courts run Specialist Indigenous Lists to focus support that helps Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children and the people who are seeking Court Orders regarding the care and living arrangements for a child(ren), and may include non-Indigenous parents or carers.

Indigenous Lists are different from other court lists:

  • they are less formal
  • offer specialised support services, and
  • allow the Judge to close the courtroom to the public (if needed).

If you would like to be included in the Specialist Indigenous List, please see the Courts’ website for more information.

IFLO locations

The Courts registries are located in major centres. The Courts also circuit to rural and regional areas across Australia.

IFLOs are based in many locations and service broad areas as outlined in the below map.


Contacting the Courts (family law)

Phone: 1300 352 000

Int: +61 2 7809 1036

8.30am to 5.00pm (AEST), Monday-Friday


Indigenous Family Liaison Officers

If you would like the support of an Indigenous Family Liaison Officer please contact the IFLOs in your area, 8.30am to 5.00pm (AEST), Monday – Friday:

Newcastle – 0499 806 535 or 0499 806 534

Brisbane – 0492 142 858 or 0487 161 587 or 0418 658 480

Lismore – 0499 698 312 or 0455 124 174

Adelaide – 0427 897 672 or 0457 856 329

Cairns – 0436 800 743

Sydney – 0499 757 136

Parramatta – 0461 573 293

Townsville – 0499 567 790

Launceston 0474 469 933

Darwin 0447 061 851

Support services


Crisis support

13 92 76

Family Relationship Advice Line

1800 050 321 |

Family Advocacy & Support Service

Legal advice – domestic & family violence

1800 737 732 |

Indigenous Legal Aid Services

ACT/New South Wales

Aboriginal Legal Service

1800 733 233 or (02) 8836 3444


Victorian Aboriginal Legal Service

1800 064 865


Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Legal Service

1800 012 255

South Australia

Aboriginal Legal Rights Movement

1800 643 222


Tasmanian Aboriginal Legal Service

1800 595 162

Northern Territory

North Australian Aboriginal Justice Agency

1800 898 251

Central Australian Aboriginal Legal Aid Service

1800 636 079