Family violence: Get help and support

If you are in immediate danger call 000

Everyone deserves to be safe and protected. If you are the victim of family violence, you can:

  • make a report to the police in your state or territory, and/or
  • apply for a family violence order (note that family violence orders have different names in different states and territories).

Reporting family violence to police

If you are in immediate danger, call 000 to seek police assistance.

If you are not in immediate danger, you can still report family violence to police in your state or territory by calling 131 444, or by attending a police station.

Australian Capital Territory

New South Wales

Northern Territory


South Australia



Western Australia

Family Violence Law Help

The Family Violence Law Help website provides information about domestic and family violence and the law in Australia.

Family Advocacy and Support Service

The Family Advocacy and Support Service (FASS) is an integrated duty lawyer and social worker service available for families affected by family violence or abuse. FASS is run by Legal Aid and is free. FASS may be able to help you with preparing documentation, organising a referral to a service and helping with court proceedings. Visit their website to find the contact details of FASS in your state or territory.