Application for consent orders (do it yourself kit)

If you have reached agreement about parenting, finances/property or maintenance you can ask the Court to formalise the agreement and make court orders. The Court will consider the orders sought taking into consideration whether parenting orders are in the best interests of the children and/or financial/property/maintenance orders are just and equitable.

If there are no current proceedings you can formalise your agreement to make legally binding court orders by applying for consent orders. Consent orders can also be used to vary or discharge existing family law orders.

It is important to read the information at How do I file Consent Orders? and the checklist at the front of the kit.

For a practical resource to assist parents in drafting parenting orders, see the Attorney-General’s Department publication, Parenting orders, what you need to know. This resource provides information and examples of orders so parents can decide what orders are best for their children.

Filing with the Court

An Application for Consent Orders should be filed electronically on the Commonwealth Courts Portal by uploading the form or if you are unable to eFile, by filing at a court registry.

Legal advice

To understand your legal rights and responsibilities you should obtain legal advice. A lawyer can explain how the law applies to your case and assist you to complete forms and lodge documents. The Court is unable to provide legal advice because to do so would seriously compromise its ability to impartially determine your case. There are several free services available. See Find a Lawyer for more information.