Initiating Application Kit (do it yourself kit)

This form is used to start a family law application seeking final orders. Interlocutory orders can only be sought in this form if you are seeking final orders as well. The following types of orders can be sought:

  • Parenting
  • Property/financial
  • Maintenance
  • Child support
  • Medical procedures
  • Nullity
  • Validity of marriage, divorce or annulment
  • Passports

It is important to read the Important Notes in the kit before you complete the form.

Filing with the Court

You should file this form electronically on the Commonwealth Courts Portal. Other documents must be filed with an Initiating Application depending on the type of proceedings. For more information and step-by-step guides see How do I apply for parenting orders? and/or How do I apply for property and financial orders?.

If for some reason you cannot eFile, you can file at a Court registry

TIP: If you are not registered on the Commonwealth Courts Portal or are registered but do not have access to your file electronically email with your full name, date of birth, name of the other party, file number (if known) and your portal user name if you are already registered so we can create your registration or provide access to your file.

Legal advice

To understand your legal rights and responsibilities you should obtain legal advice. A lawyer can explain how the law applies to your case and assist you to complete forms and lodge documents. The Court is unable to provide legal advice because to do so would seriously compromise its ability to impartially determine your case. There are several free services available. See Find a lawyer for more information.

More information