Application – contravention

A National Contravention List has been established to deal with all contravention applications filed in the Federal Circuit and Family Court of Australia (FCFCOA). Please refer to Family Law Practice Direction – National Contravention List for further information about what documents to file with this form and details about the National Contravention List.

NOTE: You cannot eFile this type of application. This form and any supporting documents must be filed by email to

You should complete this form if you want to seek an order from the Court imposing a punishment or another consequence on a person for the breach of a parenting or other child-related order.

It is used for an application alleging a breach of a parenting or other child-related order under Division 13A of Part VII of the Family Law Act 1975.

Before filing an Application - Contravention, you should consider the result that you want to achieve. The remedies available from the Court range from the enforcement of an order to the punishment of a person for failure to obey an order. See Compliance with parenting and other child-related orders for more information.  

Have you read the Compulsory Dispute Resolution brochure? If you are considering filing an application for parenting orders, please read the brochure first. Failure to do so may result in your application not being accepted for filing.

Legal advice

To understand your legal rights and responsibilities you should obtain legal advice before filing an Application – Contravention. A lawyer can explain how the law applies to your case and assist you to complete forms and lodge documents. The Court is unable to provide legal advice because to do so would seriously compromise its ability to impartially determine your case. There are several free services available. See Find a Lawyer for more information.

Number of copies of the form for filing, service and yourself

The completed and signed original of the form is to be emailed to the Court at Before you email it you must retain a copy for your own records.

Filing fee


What you file with this form

If your application relates to an existing order that was made within the last 12 months and there are reasonable grounds to believe that the person who has allegedly contravened the order has behaved in a way that shows a serious disregard for his or her obligations under that order, you should file an Affidavit of Non-Filing of Family Dispute Resolution Certificate.

Who you serve

The respondent.

How you serve this form

By personal service, after you have received sealed copies from the Court.

The Service Kit provides instructions on how to do this.

What is filed in response

There is no form to respond to an Application - Contravention, however the other person may file an application seeking a variation of the order that it is alleged has been breached.

More information

The relevant legislation is Chapter 11 of the Federal Circuit and Family Court of Australia (Family Law) Rules 2021.

The Application in a Proceeding gives more information about an urgent application or an application during a case.

In completing a Court form, you must

Complete the form by typing or hand printing in ink.