How can I inspect a court file?

If you are a party in a general federal law matter you or your lawyer can view the court file from the Commonwealth Courts Portal.

If you are not a party to the matter or are a media representative (non-party), subject to any order or direction of the Court and certain exceptions, you may request to inspect ‘unrestricted’ general federal law and/or migration court documents.

It is important you read the information about making a Non-party request to inspect a general federal law or migration file before filing a request. Fees are payable for the request and photocopying.

For information about public case search (for non-parties) visit Federal Law Search, which provides selected publicly available information on cases filed in the:

  • General federal law jurisdiction of this Court, and the
  • Federal Court of Australia.